Gervais, Oregon is a small town with a population of just over 2,000 people. It is located in the Willamette Valley, near the city of Salem. The climate in Gervais is mild and temperate. Summer temperatures can reach into the high 80s, while winters are typically mild and wet. See topbbacolleges for information about Baker County, Oregon.
The history of Gervais dates back to 1852 when it was first settled by pioneers who were drawn to the area due to its fertile soil and abundant natural resources. The town was named after one of its first settlers, Gervais Johnson. In its early years, Gervais was an agricultural community that relied heavily on its farms and orchards for sustenance. Later on, as transportation and communication improved, Gervais became a bedroom community for those commuting to Salem for work.
Today, Gervais is governed by a mayor-council form of government. The economy of the town consists mainly of small businesses such as restaurants and retail stores that serve both locals and visitors alike. There are also several wineries in the area that attract many tourists each year.
The town is served by one public school district: Gervais School District 7J which includes an elementary school (K-5) and middle/high school (6-12). Higher education opportunities can be found nearby at Chemeketa Community College located in nearby Salem or Oregon State University in Corvallis.
Gervais boasts some beautiful landmarks including its historic downtown area which has been restored to reflect its original 19th century architecture; The Miller House Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers; and the Willamette River which flows through town providing recreational opportunities for fishing, boating, or simply enjoying nature’s beauty year round.
Population: 2,009. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,292 (+14.1% change)
Males: 1,098 (54.7%), Females: 911 (45.3%)
Zip code: 97026
Median resident age: 24.5 years
Median household income: $43,882
Median house value: $121,600
Races in Gervais:
- Hispanic (65.2%)
- Other race (52.9%)
- White Non-Hispanic (31.6%)
- Two or more races (4.5%)
- American Indian (2.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (6.2%), United States (6.1%), English (2.4%), Irish (2.4%), Norwegian (2.2%), Russian (1.5%).
Elevation: 184 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Gervais, Oregon is a small city with a population of about 6,000 people. It is located in Marion County and is part of the Salem Metropolitan Statistical Area. The median household income in Gervais is $56,621 and the median home value is $272,800. The cost of living in Gervais is slightly higher than the national average and the unemployment rate stands at 5%.
The majority of residents in Gervais are employed in manufacturing, retail trade, health care, and educational services. The city also has a growing tourism industry due to its proximity to Portland and other attractions such as wine country. The city offers a variety of housing options ranging from single-family homes to condos and apartments. Rent prices are relatively affordable compared to other cities in the area with a median rent price of $1,200 per month. There are also plenty of amenities available including grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, parks, libraries and schools which all contribute to making Gervais an attractive place to live for families and individuals alike.
For population 25 years and over in Gervais
- High school or higher: 46.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gervais city
- Never married: 35.9%
- Now married: 53.1%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 3.5%
- Divorced: 5.6%
37.7% Foreign born (37.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,032 (+105.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gervais:
- SILVERTON HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; SILVERTON, OR)
- OREGON STATE HOSPITAL DISTINCT PART (about 14 miles; SALEM, OR)
- SALEM HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; SALEM, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gervais:
- MCNARY FLD (about 16 miles; SALEM, OR; Abbreviation: SLE)
- MC MINNVILLE MUNI (about 18 miles; MC MINNVILLE, OR; Abbreviation: MMV)
- PORTLAND INTL (about 40 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Abbreviation: PDX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gervais:
- LENHARDT AIRPARK (about 13 miles; HUBBARD, OR; Abbreviation: 7S9)
- AURORA STATE (about 13 miles; AURORA, OR; Abbreviation: UAO)
- SPORTSMAN AIRPARK (about 13 miles; NEWBERG, OR; Abbreviation: 2S6)
Amtrak station near Gervais:
- 16 miles: SALEM (500 13TH ST. SE). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Gervais:
- SALEM BIBLE COLLEGE (Location: 12234 River Rd NE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.salembiblecollege.org)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gervais:
- CHEMEKETA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; SALEM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,253)
- WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; SALEM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,325)
- GEORGE FOX UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; NEWBERG, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,032)
- CLACKAMAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 28 miles; OREGON CITY, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,446)
- LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE (about 28 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,795)
- PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 29 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 13,255)
- UNIVERSITY OF PORTLAND (about 35 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,683)
Public high schools in Gervais:
- GERVAIS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 308; Location: 300 E DOUGLAS ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
- DOUGLAS AVENUE CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 19; Location: 300 E DOUGLAS ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Gervais:
- GERVAIS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 359; Location: 150 DOUGLAS ST; Grades: 05 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Gervais:
- SACRED HEART ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 114; Location: 515 SEVENTH STREET PO BOX 215; Grades: KG – 8)