Rimersburg, Pennsylvania is a small town located in Clarion County. The population of Rimersburg is estimated to be around 1,500 people. The city lies within the Allegheny Plateau region of Western Pennsylvania and is surrounded by rolling hills and forests. The climate in Rimersburg tends to be mild with warm summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Pennsylvania.
The history of Rimersburg dates back to the late 1700s when it was first settled by German immigrants. During the 19th century, it became an important industrial center due to its location on the railroad line between Pittsburgh and Erie. It was also an important stop on the Underground Railroad which helped many African Americans escape slavery during this time period.
Politically, Rimersburg is a strongly conservative area with most residents leaning towards Republican candidates in elections. The economy of Rimersburg is largely based on farming and small businesses such as restaurants and shops.
The school system in Rimersburg consists of one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school all run by the Clarion-Limestone School District. There are also two private schools located in town as well as a branch of Clarion University for those looking for higher education options.
Rimersburg has several landmarks that are worth mentioning including the historic downtown area which includes many original buildings from the 1800s, several churches dating back to colonial times, and Fort Roberdeau which was built during the Revolutionary War as a defense against Native American attacks. Additionally, there are several parks throughout town that provide plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking trails and picnic spots for visitors to enjoy.
Population: 1,051. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,018 (-3.1% change)
Males: 476 (45.3%), Females: 575 (54.7%)
Zip code: 16248
Median resident age: 36.6 years
Median household income: $23,155
Median house value: $49,600
Races in Rimersburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.3%)
Ancestries: German (26.5%), United States (15.6%), Irish (10.8%), Dutch (6.9%), Italian (6.2%), English (5.0%).
Elevation: 1480 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Rimersburg, Pennsylvania is a small town located in Clarion County, with a population of 1,219 according to the 2010 U.S. Census. The town is mainly comprised of middle-class families and retirees, and is considered to be a quiet and safe place to live. The median household income for Rimersburg residents is $45,000 per year. Most of the residents work in nearby towns or cities such as Butler or Pittsburgh, commuting for their jobs each day.
The cost of living in Rimersburg is relatively low compared to other nearby towns and cities. Housing costs are affordable; the median home value in Rimersburg is around $80,000, significantly lower than the national average of $200,000. Rent prices are also quite reasonable; one-bedroom apartments in Rimersburg typically rent for around $500-$700 per month while two-bedroom apartments can be found for $750-$900 per month. Utilities are also relatively inexpensive; electricity bills tend to be around $75-$100 each month on average depending on usage. Other living expenses such as groceries and transportation costs are also quite reasonable compared to other areas in Pennsylvania.
For population 25 years and over in Rimersburg
- High school or higher: 74.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rimersburg borough
- Never married: 26.1%
- Now married: 51.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 13.1%
- Divorced: 8.3%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -7 (-0.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Rimersburg:
- CLARION HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; CLARION, PA)
- CLARION PSYCH CNTR (about 15 miles; CLARION, PA)
- ARMSTRONG COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; KITTANNING, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rimersburg:
- VENANGO REGIONAL (about 33 miles; FRANKLIN, PA; Abbreviation: FKL)
- DU BOIS-JEFFERSON COUNTY (about 44 miles; DU BOIS, PA; Abbreviation: DUJ)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 54 miles; LATROBE, PA; Abbreviation: LBE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rimersburg:
- CLARION COUNTY (about 13 miles; CLARION, PA; Abbreviation: AXQ)
- MC VILLE (about 22 miles; FREEPORT, PA; Abbreviation: P37)
- BUTLER FARM SHOW (about 35 miles; BUTLER, PA; Abbreviation: 3G9)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rimersburg:
- CLARION UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 15 miles; CLARION, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,690)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 38 miles; INDIANA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 12,307)
- SLIPPERY ROCK UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 39 miles; SLIPPERY ROCK, PA; Full-time enrollment: 6,399)
- GROVE CITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; GROVE CITY, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,306)
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 7,903)
- ART INSTITUTE PITTSBURGH (about 53 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,246)
- POINT PARK COLLEGE (about 54 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
Public high school in Rimersburg:
- UNION HS (Students: 393; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Rimersburg:
- RIMERSBURG EL SCH (Students: 196; Grades: 04 – 06)
Library in Rimersburg:
- ECCLES LESHER MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $166,835; Location: 673 MAIN ST.; 24,697 books; 584 audio materials; 1,607 video materials; 64 serial subscriptions)