According to Hyperrestaurant.com, Schulenburg, Texas is a small city located in Fayette County, about an hour east of Austin. With a population of around 2,700 people, it’s a great place to live and work. The geography of Schulenburg is unique in that it’s part of the Blackland Prairie region of Texas – an area known for its rolling hills and lush green pastures. It’s also home to several creeks and rivers, including the Navidad River which runs through the center of town.
The climate in Schulenburg is typical for Central Texas – hot summers with temperatures reaching into the 90s and mild winters with occasional snowfall. The city gets its fair share of rain throughout the year as well, making it a great place for outdoor activities like fishing and camping.
Schulenburg was founded in 1873 when two German immigrants named John Meusebach and Henry Schultze purchased land near the Navidad River. The town was originally called Schultze but was later changed to Schulenburg after John Meusebach’s death in 1886. Today, Schulenburg remains an important part of German-American culture in Texas with many local businesses still owned by descendants of those original settlers.
Politically, Schulenburg is part of Fayette County which leans heavily Republican. In recent years there has been some Democratic support in certain areas but overall the county remains solidly red on election day.
The economy in Schulenburg is largely based on agriculture – specifically raising beef cattle, hay production, and pecan farming – although there are also several small businesses scattered throughout the town as well as some light manufacturing jobs nearby in La Grange.
Schulenburg is served by three public schools: Schulenburg High School, Franklin Elementary School and Ellinger Elementary School all part of the Schulenburg Independent School District (SISD). It also has two private schools: St Rose Catholic School which covers grades K-8; and St Mary’s Catholic High School which covers grades 9-12. Both private schools have excellent reputations for academics and athletics within their respective communities.
As far as landmarks go, one of the most iconic places to visit in Schulenburg is The Bluebonnet Cafe – a historic diner that opened its doors back in 1929! It’s known for their delicious homemade pies (especially their coconut cream pie) as well as their classic hamburgers served on wax paper plates just like they did back when it first opened! Other notable landmarks include two museums – The Painted Churches Museum (dedicated to preserving examples of 19th century religious art) and The Polish Heritage Museum (which celebrates local Polish heritage). There are also several historic homes such as The Hruska House (built 1887) which serve as reminders that this small town has quite a rich history waiting to be explored!
Population: 2,699. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,742 (+1.6% change)
Males: 1,216 (45.1%), Females: 1,483 (54.9%)
Zip code: 78956
Median resident age: 44.0 years
Median household income: $27,619
Median house value: $57,100
Races in Schulenburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (70.4%)
- Black (15.5%)
- Hispanic (13.6%)
- Other race (6.0%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (26.8%), Czech (23.1%), Irish (4.9%), English (4.5%), United States (4.4%), French (1.3%).
Land area: 2.4 square miles
Schulenburg, Texas is a small town located in Fayette County. It has a population of 2,852 people and is located within the Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land metropolitan area. The town is home to many different cultures and ethnicities, with the majority of residents being of German descent. The population also includes African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans. The median age in Schulenburg is 36 years old and the median household income is $44,856. Many of the residents are employed in local businesses such as farming, ranching, manufacturing, retailing and government services. There are several churches in Schulenburg that serve the community’s spiritual needs. Education is also important to the town’s residents; there are two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also two universities located within driving distance from Schulenburg: Blinn College and University of Houston-Victoria which offer various degree programs for local students. In addition to its educational opportunities and diverse population, Schulenburg offers its citizens an array of recreational activities including hiking trails at Fayette Lake Park or spending time at any one of the numerous festivals held throughout the year such as Polka Fest or Painted Churches Festival. With its variety of amenities and activities available for all ages to enjoy, Schulenburg provides an ideal place for people to call home!
For population 25 years and over in Schulenburg
- High school or higher: 70.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Schulenburg city
- Never married: 22.6%
- Now married: 52.5%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 15.7%
- Divorced: 7.6%
7.6% Foreign born (6.2% Latin America, 0.9% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +146 (+5.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Schulenburg:
- COLORADO FAYETTE MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; WEIMAR, TX)
- FAYETTE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; LA GRANGE, TX)
- LAVACA MEDICAL CENTER (about 22 miles; HALLETTSVILLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Schulenburg:
- VICTORIA REGIONAL (about 58 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Abbreviation: VCT)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 63 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
- EASTERWOOD FIELD (about 74 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Abbreviation: CLL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Schulenburg:
- FAYETTE REGIONAL AIR CENTER (about 16 miles; LA GRANGE, TX; Abbreviation: 3T5)
- HALLETTSVILLE MUNI (about 21 miles; HALLETTSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 34R)
- ROBERT R WELLS JR (about 29 miles; COLUMBUS, TX; Abbreviation: 66R)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Schulenburg:
- BLINN COLLEGE (about 50 miles; BRENHAM, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,448)
- VICTORIA COLLEGE (about 61 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,511)
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 63 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY (about 70 miles; PRAIRIE VIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,823)
- SAINT EDWARD’S UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,870)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN (about 71 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 46,503)
- AUSTIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,819)
Public high school in Schulenburg:
- SCHULENBURG H S (Students: 363; Location: 150 COLLEGE ST; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Schulenburg:
- SCHULENBURG EL (Students: 387; Location: 104 LYONS ST; Grades: PK – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Schulenburg:
- ST ROSE OF LIMA SCHOOL (Students: 158; Location: 400 BLACK STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Schulenburg:
- SCHULENBURG PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $102,610; Location: 700 BOHLMANN AVE; 16,000 books; 16 audio materials; 732 video materials; 10 serial subscriptions)